Friendship is Magic Guild Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:33:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Guild Forum! Things will be more organized as we get around to it.

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Looking for a mentor of sorts.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a mentor of sorts.  (Read 1132 times)
Sweetiebear
Newcomer

Level: 0

Bear Tank with a Blank Flank

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:37:38 am »

Alrighty, I, Sweetiebear, am completely blank of the ways of Cataclysm.

However, I do know my way around Feral tanking when it comes to ICC patch times (3.3.5 patch levels, etc) but when it comes to Cata, I am literally starting out fresh it seems.

If there is anyone who wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, be it about spec, any tips on aggro, rage consumption, helpful macros, what have you, I would love it if you could give me that hoof to grab on to and pull myself up a few levels of the tanking hierarchy.

I am spending way too much time making this post sound cool.

TL;DR HALP I need knowledge on 4.2 Bear tank stuff.

In game, on forums, email, whatever, doesn't matter. I'm just looking to be able to help the guild in the best (and my favourite) way I can!

~ SB
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Illumina
Newcomer

[Ariathiel] on Arathor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 05:57:28 pm »

I haven't played Feral Bear since back in BC/LK heroic days, so I can't give too much in the way of advice.....
But there's one place that always gives more advice than you ever thought possible to understand. Elitist Jerks.

The name is pretty explanatory, and they focus on high-end raiding strategy, number crunching and Mix/Max to a mind-blowing degree. But they're also one of the better sources for anything related to a specific class/talent spec.

Take what they have written as just advice, not as a "you must do this". A lot of things they have are very too over-the-top, to be followed only if End-Game-Raiding is your Life, Heart, Soul and Only Reason For Living.  Grin  (although, that is what some high-end guilds have enforced in the past).

But all things said, for the most part they know their stuff. I wouldn't dare try to ask a question of them myself though lol - just treat it as a reference.
Just bear in mind it's all focused on END-GAME, so there's some that doesn't apply as well towards leveling range and even for 85 Normal/Heroic level dungeons in some cases.

Elitist Jerks - Cataclysm 4.2 Feral Bear
http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t123595-feral_bear_thrashing_around_4_2_a/
Report Spam   Logged
Bastiat

Level: 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:15 pm »

The first place that all bear druids have gone for years is Alamo.

Once you have internalized the spirit of his message, you can head to elitistjerks for all the dry statistical info.

I don't think we have any prominent bears in guild, though, so a third and vastly underrated way to learn about your class is to look up high end feral druids in top raid guilds and send them a tell during their off-raid hours. Most are downright flattered that you asked and will gladly help you. You should be able to tell they're bears by the gear they're wearing in armory.
Report Spam   Logged
Sweetiebear
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:14 pm »

@Ari, yeah, I've already taken a look through all the EJ stuff I could and I was only hoping for a first-hand kind of thing rather than someone's own personal guide. Don't worry though, the fact that someone else says it's good means I'll be able to get some great help out of it!

@Fried, oh yeah, of course! I mean what Bear DOESN'T know Alamo? NONE THAT'S WHO BECAUSE IF THEY DON'T THEY AREN'T BEARS!

*clears throat*

Yeah, I've done that once before, went to a guy named Mesothorny, lol. He was a jerk and ended up getting ticked at me for not being able to tank something right off that bat, even though I'd never raided before. I think it was like a ToC 5 man or something, so whatever.

In any case, I'll check out Arathor's top Bears and start levelling more right away. 40 to 52 in a day was awesome, and I've got tomorrow off too (friday) and I should be on also in a few minutes. Ah, it's good to be home from work.

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:37:44 am by Sweetiebear » Report Spam   Logged
Parasprite
Newcomer

Level: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 12:09:13 pm »

I have some experience bear-tanking in Cataclysm.

I've tried quite a few different gearing strategies and found... that bear tanks are quite forgiving on what secondary stats you pick.  From a healer perspective, its quite obvious if a shield tank isn't stacking mastery but harder to tell if a bear tank is stacking Agility/Stamina/Dodge/Crit/etc...

I eventually based my spec off of:
Sejta of Paragon
But with taking two points out of Fury Swipes and putting them into Brutal Impact. My Spec

Report Spam   Logged

Sweetiebear
Newcomer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:54:25 pm »

True enough, but when it comes down to it, EJ's rule of thumb is stack stam until you can withstand 2.5 hits from said boss, then stack agi for the rest.

I've been doing some RDF's recently and wiped only once due to being feared a ridiculous amount. I hate fear.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: